Monday, April 11, 2016

Cheesy Jokes and Cheesy Corn

Friends and family, 

Since spring has fully come, and the blossoms on the cherry and apricot trees are starting to bloom and blossom, the ice cream man has also come. While driving through one of the trailer parks where we do a lot of tracting, I looked out of the car window and what did I see? Not only popcorn, popping on the apricot tree, but a hispanic ice cream truck. He comes and visits all of the hispanic neighborhoods and trailer parks and sells all sorts of goodies. One of the favorites is steamed corn, covered in mayonnaise, cheese, and Tajin, a hispanic salt/seasoning. He also sells sliced mango with Tajin and cream, and it is SO good. All of the children love it when they hear his song as he pulls in, and run up to buy a treat. One of our investigators asked if I would walk their son, Abel Hijo, over to get some ice cream. He is the coolest, funniest, cutest kid. I look at him as my little sidekick. I attached a picture of him waiting for some ice cream, with a big grin on his face. 

Miguel, our recent convert, has been doing great. He has invited so many of his friends to come to church with him, and every time we teach him he asks such great questions and sincerely desires to learn more and grow closer to God. At the end of one of our lessons, he sheepishly asked us if we could teach him to play Texas Hold 'Em. I asked him why he wanted to learn, and he said he wanted to learn because I'm from Texas. I laughed, and gave a quick 5 minute lesson, explaining Texas Hold 'Em, teaching the lesson that sometimes you have to have faith that whatever comes next will be exactly what you need. 

While tracting up in one of the smaller towns half an hour north of where we live and do most of our work, I found a fellow Longhorn! We were out knocking doors, when I saw an orange longhorn bumper sticker on a car. I ran up to the door, leaving my companion in the dust very confused, and knocked the door. The guy who lived there opened the door and was dressed in orange longhorn pajama pants and an orange polo. We spent time sharing stories about the Eyes of Texas and the beauty of Austin, and he made the point that Texas must be the best because you won't find anyone else living up in the middle of nowhere of Washington, boasting about some other University/State! Hook 'em!

On Saturday, this little 90 year old lady named Opal asked if we could help her trim some of her shrubs and her trees. We showed up expecting to just do all of it ourselves, but there she was outside with her work gloves, already started pulling weeds. We pleaded with her that we could just do it all so that she could stay inside and rest, but she insisted on helping out herself. She was out working hard and lugging branches and tools all over the yard! I asked her what the secret was, how she was able to scoot about at the young age of 90, and her reply was "Smile often, work outside, and eat a TON of oatmeal." 

I hope you all had a fun April Fool's Day, I'll leave you with a cheesy joke. 

What did the hat say to the hat rack?

"You stay here, I'll go on a head."

Con Mucho Amor, 

Elder King

No comments:

Post a Comment