Monday, May 16, 2016

Shaved Head and God Rap

Friends and Family, 

Last P-Day after playing kickball, Elder Aguilar decided he wanted to get a haircut since we had interviews with President Lewis on Friday and his hair was getting pretty long. Our Zone Leader taught himself how to cut hair, and does a pretty good job at it, so we just asked him if he could do it real quick after kickball. Of course he said yes, so they went into the bathroom at the Stake Center and I was just waiting outside when all of the sudden I hear a loud scream. I run into the bathroom and see Elder Aguilar sitting there with a giant bald spot on the side of his head and Elder Solis with a huge chunk of hair in his hand. Apparently Elder Solis took the guard off of the clippers to trim the back of his neck, and forgot that he had it off and went back to trim down the side and just took out a huge chunk of hair. It looked SO ridiculous. The only way we could fix it and make it look mildly normal was to shave the side of his head down to a 0 and the top to a 2. It made him look like an ex-Marine or something, so I've been making the joke this whole week that he doesn't do transfers anymore, he does tours. As we've been out driving around and tracting this week, sometimes I would just look over at him and start laughing because he looked so ridiculous. The funniest part about it is that at our last Zone Conference, President Lewis specifically said not to get buzz cuts. AND two people that day told him that he shouldn't shave his head. I've been fulfilling my part as his companion by giving him a hard time for it ever since. 

While out tracting in the rain, this old lady pulled up to us in her minivan and started telling us that it was about to rain even harder and that we ought to go grab some rain coats or something. We told her that we had rain coats in the car and that we would go grab them real quick, and thanked her for warning us. We continued to talk with her and found out that she knew a couple Mormon people and had met with missionaries before and really liked talking with missionaries and always kept an eye out for them to help them out with things. Her name was Barbara and she was very funny and very kind. At the very end before she drove off, she asked if she could give us her 'God Rap'. There was no way I was about to pass up the opportunity to listen to her rap, so I asked if she needed a beat and she said yes and then said "By the way, you KNOW this rap is from God because I am CLEARLY not a rapper."  I beatboxed for her as she rapped, which was pretty hard to do because the beat kept changing every once in a while. In all my life, I never expected that I would end up beatboxing for some old lady as she raps about God on my mission. 

Elder D. Todd Christofferson came and visited the Wenatchee Stake for Stake Conference this past weekend, and we got to translate for him and listen to him speak fluent Spanish as he spoke at a Spanish session of conference. During the adult session, we had given our mission president's wife a sticky note to put on the podium to remind to speakers to speak slowly and clearly to help us out as we translated for them. When Elder Christofferson got up there, he said "There's a note here that reads 'speak clearly, take pauses, you're being translated'. I can't wait! I'm so glad I came. Finally get to be translated." It was hilarious. I got to shake his hand and talk with him afterwards, which was super cool.

I won't be able to send any pictures this week because the Stake Center is getting it's carpet cleaned so we had to email at the city library which doesn't allow for any outside documents to be attached. So sorry! I still love you all!

Con Mucho Amor, 

Elder King

Picture courtesy of Sister Lewis's mission blog:





No comments:

Post a Comment