Monday, January 30, 2017

Living in the Mission Office

Friends and Families, 

Well, it's been an interesting transfer weekend. My reign in the Englewood Branch has come to an end. On the bright side, I won't be going too far and I'll still be in the Englewood Building for the new ward that I cover. President Lewis hit his head really really hard Saturday morning while making some transfer calls and thought that it would be a good idea to call me to be one of his assistants. I had to start packing right then and there to get ready to move in with the current assistants to prepare for all of the transfer craziness that will take place on Wednesday. Thankfully, since I was already so close, I was able to go to the Englewood Branch one last time yesterday and say all of my goodbyes and have one last final member dinner and then officially leave.

We had Branch Conference yesterday, so the new stake president came to speak. He served his mission in Japan and doesn't speak a single word of Spanish, but he wrote out his entire talk in English, then translated it into Spanish with the help of one of his brothers who does speak Spanish, practiced it, and then gave his whole talk in Spanish to the branch. It was very powerful to see him do his very best to speak. Although he did not know what he was saying, you could feel the Spirit so strongly and so could he and he would tear up despite being lost in translation.

Saying goodbye was really sad. Little did I know when I was first called to serve in the Englewood Branch that I would be finding a new family. All of the members in that branch will forever hold a very special place in my heart. I took a lot of pictures with all of the members, but I won't be able to send any of them unfortunately. We just finished an office meeting and my camera is still back in the apartment and we don't have too much time for emailing today. Look forward to the farewell pics next week!

The biggest spiritual insight I'd like to share from this week comes from Saturday morning. Right after the phone call from President Lewis, I knew that I needed to say a prayer and ask for all of Heavenly Father's help. I remember back in my first transfer when I was first serving with Elder Wilson, right after he got the call that he was going to be emergency transferred I saw him kneel down and pray. That really stuck out to me, and I've always tried to do the same. As I began my prayer, I started to offer up the feelings of my heart. I started off by expressing gratitude for all of the areas that I've served in and all of the companions I've had and everything I've learned from them. I gave thanks for all of leaders I had back home. Bishops, Stake Presidents, teachers in school, Scoutmasters, Young Men's Presidents, etc. I then began to express all of my concerns. I didn't know how I was going to be able to do what I was just called to do. With all of the faults and weaknesses that I have, how can I magnify my calling? I started to think of previous assistants that I have seen throughout the course of my mission, and I began to feel very inadequate. As I began to ask for all the help I could receive, a feeling of peace came over my heart. A line from a talk that I had recently read came very strongly to my mind. "You can't do it, Elder King. But the Lord can. He has the power to do His work, and if you will be worthy and work hard, He will do it. You will see.”

The Lord doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called. Despite all of the personal flaws that we may find ourselves with, He will help us to overcome any task, trial, or tribulation placed before us.

Con Mucho Amor,

Elder King

Note from mom:  I've attached a couple pictures Sister Lewis took and shared on the mission blog.  If you'd like to see her story, here's the link:  New Assistant Elder King



No comments:

Post a Comment