Friday, September 25, 2015

The Adventures of Elder King in Mexico

Dearest friends and family, 

Mexico City continues to get more interesting every day. I forgot to mention that last week there was Mexican Independence Day and all of the locals here went loco. They were singing a dancing all through the night, launching fireworks and shooting off guns into the night sky. At 3 in the morning I was awoken by a very intoxicated local singing karaoke to some song that I didn't recognize. It would have been much more enjoyable and hilarious if he didn't continue to sing until 5 in the morning while I was trying to sleep. I already knew that sleep is sacred time, but I have discovered a new appreciation for sleep that I didn't think was even possible. One of the Elders who sleeps in the same room as me, Elder Wunderlich, snores and talks in his sleep. Last night he sat up in his bed and screamed, "ES MUY IMPORTANTE! But I think that you´d like it." and went immediately back to sleep. I cracked up and was laughing to myself. 

I miss TV and movies and music. Sometimes during our breaks my district and I will start breaking into song and singing and dancing, it´s really fun. We had a full rendition of "You Make My Dreams Come True" by Hall and Oates going on the other day. I proposed the idea that we create a CCM mixtape. I like debating movie and TV trivia during our meal time. Does anybody remember what the angels are called who sang with Illuvitar to create the world in Tolkien's The Silmarillion? I can´t remember and it's driving me crazy. 

Yo hablo mucho español todo la tiempo. Los otros Elderes y Hermanas en my districto no entienden mucho, enotonces yo ayuda ellos con la idioma. Yo hablo mas rapido de antes me tiempo aqui en la CCM. A mi me encanta la idioma. 

I'm sure there are tons of mistakes in that last paragraph. I talk with tons of locals here and joke around with them, I love the sense of humor in Mexico. They like to laugh at death. I was talking with one of my amigos about his mission and he said he's going to a part of Mexico notorious for chopping peoples heads off. He just kept laughing and laughing about it, which I found even more funny. I hope he doesn´t get his head chopped off. 

I got to meet with a woman last night named Maria. She was such a sweet lady, her husband is extremely stubborn and her brother lost his vision from diabetes. She was talking with me about how she wanted her family to feel loved and I shared my experiences with love and family. I couldn't help but smile the whole time as I talked about how I know that families bring as a sense of happiness unlike anything else. At times it can be frustrating when I meet and teach people because I know what I want to say in ingles but can't fully express myself in español. I've learned to just start taking more and more leaps of faith in the language, which has taught me a lot. 

I joined the choir here at the CCM and so I perform every Tuesday with the other Elderes y Hermanas here. I like it a lot and it help me a ton with the language. All the studying and learning I do with the language makes me incredibly grateful for my spanish classes I had in school. I guess I learned more than I thought I did. 

The only picture I have for this week is with another Elder King here at the CCM. He left the CCM yesterday so we took a picture together. He is much shorter than me and very funny and nice. I miss you all so much. My challenge for you all is to do something nice for somebody else. The greatest love can be found through service to others. 

Con Mucho Amor, 

Elder King

No comments:

Post a Comment