Thursday, January 14, 2016

Round 3 in The Dalles!



Aloha, 

I'm really starting to like the ring to starting every email off like that. It's just so....tropical. 

The Dalles has definitely been it's own type of tropical this past week. On Tuesday we had so much snow I got to use a snow blower for the first time. It was pretty cool. It was like mowing the lawn, but with snow. That same day while walking around to find opportunities to serve others by shoveling some snow we had some pretty cool experiences talking to people on the street. We ran into this couple, Ron and Rhonda, who had been locked out of their car and were waiting for the locksmith to come and help them out. We started talking to them and out of no where he asked if we believed in the trinity. We answered no, and that we believe that God and Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are 3 separate beings. He looked very confused and puzzled and said, "Good! Me neither. It just doesn't make sense to me." We were able to have a really great conversation with him and gave him information so that he could talk more missionaries in the town where he lived. 

We also ran into a guy by the name of Hilario later that day outside of the library. He was a Hispanic man with a teardrop tattoo on his face and was incredibly sincere and nice. After talking to him he called us later that night just to let us know that he was so grateful for us talking to him because it made him feel so happy. 

On Saturday I gave my first training at a Zone Training Meeting! Crazy to think that 12 Weeks ago I was leaving Mexico City. We also got transfer calls on Saturday and Elder Brassanini and I will be staying here in The Dalles for the next transfer, however we will be getting a new companion with us... Elder Fernandez! He is from the Dominican Republic and speaks English, Spanish, and French. It's going to be very different being in a tri-pan, but I'm super stoked for everything I can learn from Elder Fernandez. 

The biggest thing that I've learned over this past week is the importance of asking others for help. I'm such a stubborn and independent person and am terrible at asking others for help, but so many times when I've asked someone else for their assistance everything was just so much easier. It is truly a test of humility to ask others for help. 

I have attached a picture of myself with Ernesto and his family. Ernesto was one of the first families I got to meet when I came here to The Dalles, and I have grown to love and care for his family so much. The other picture is an action shot of yours truly using a snow blower. 

Les amo mucho. Have a great week everyone!

Con Mucho Amor, 

Elder King



No comments:

Post a Comment