Sunday, March 13, 2016

Spanish Humor and Service

Friends and Family, 

Life in East Wenatchee has been extra peachy and extra keen this past week. We were able to do lots of cool things and meet lots of great people. One of our investigators, Abel, is one of the funniest guys I know. He and his wife Guadalupe have been meeting with us for a little while now, and every time we go over he always gives me a hard time and asks if I have a girlfriend. After every little joke he makes, he always says "I'm just teaching you!" because he's trying to say "I'm just teasing you!". I promised him that I'd invite him to my wedding someday. He has a little son named Pablo, who we have nicknamed Pablito. During our lesson, Pablito was playing with a clementine and banging it on the table. Elder West asked why the clementine was so squished, and Lupe told him "Pablito jugo" which translates to Pablo played. There is supposed to be an accent on the o, but my computer lacks the ability to do that. Jugo without the accent means juice, so Abel made the joke "Jugo de Pablito" which means Pablito Juice. It was hilarious, and I know that humor is hard to convey through email, especially in spanish, but I tried my best. 

Our recent convert Miguel had a broken sink that he was trying to work on this past week, but couldn't figure out what was going wrong. He said after 3 days of trying, he decided that he'd just try and read in the Book of Mormon for a little, say a prayer, and then try again. Right after he did that he told us that it took him 15 minutes before he was able to fix the sink. Cool mini-miracle! 

We did a TON of service this week. We walked some of the trails in the area, picking up trash for the city and played games at the assisted living center with the old folks again. Some of the ladies asked if any of us knew how to play Pinochle, and I was the only one who knew. Pinochle has always been the game to play in my family, and these ladies were pretty impressed with my Pinochle skills. One of them got a double pinochle which was cool to see! 

We also did some service for the Special Olympics that was held here. We set up a lot of decorations and helped do all sorts of miscellaneous jobs. We needed to hang something up on the ceiling but we didn't have a ladder, so I was volunteered to become the ladder. Elder Haymond, the second tallest missionary got on my shoulders and we walked around and every time we needed to hang something from the ceiling I would lift up on my tippy toes and he would stretch and put it in. It was a killer calf workout. 

I love you all, and leave you with the last 4 lines of one of my favorite poems, Invictus. 

It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, 
I am the captain of my soul. 

Con Mucho Amor, 

Elder King



No comments:

Post a Comment