Monday, March 20, 2017

Hugs Not Drugs

Talofa, 

I'm seriously running out of clever names to come up with for the subjects of these weekly emails. Who knows how many of you even really read the subject title? Who knows how many of you actually read the emails and not just look at the pictures? Who knows, who cares. I kind of like writing these little introductions with the mindset that nobody reads it, it's kind of like having a bunch of inside jokes with myself. 

*insert smooth transition* 

Busy is an understatement of what this past week has looked like. It was my second go around with transfer week, and a little more stressful than last time. Elder Taele has moved on to bigger and better things, and is now serving up in Moses Lake. My time with him was short lived, but loved. My new companion, Elder Moser, hails from the land of Blackfoot, ID. He's crazy talented with music, so I have him serenade me all the time. It's pretty cool.
We sent home ten of the best sister missionaries the WYM has seen on Monday. and when I say the best, I mean it. Do I say this knowing that I recently added a couple of them to this weekly email list? Maybe. But it doesn't make it any less true. It was fun but sad. I felt like a junior in high school watching all of his senior friends graduate. Luckily, we were blessed to receive three super solid new sister missionaries! One of them is from Texas, so you know it's a good batch.

As I've been thinking about what I should write about this week, Elder Moser and I have run into a lot of very interesting people with very interesting stories. We're teaching this less-active member named Shannon and his kind of girlfriend named Kelly about the gospel and helping them to overcome their addiction to smoking. Shannon has had a super rough past, and in one of our lessons he talked about how drugs completely ruined his life. Last night while we were out tracting, a drunk man came up to the door with us and hijacked our conversation and was cussing out this guy over the intercom. It was funny, but also kind of sad to see what alcohol did to this man. The reason I share this things is for a pretty simple yet critical take-away: don't do drugs. Pretty obvious to most. If happiness can only be found in the consumption of any substance, it's not real happiness.

Our investigator Evelyn is doing super well. She has been coming to church every week since I've been here, and she's praying about April 8th for baptism! I love teaching her, it's so fun. For being so young, she's so susceptible to the Spirit. She comes from such a broken home, and I've seen how much the gospel really can bless our families. The gospel is the glue that can take any shattered home and turn it into a palace.

Con Mucho Amor, 

Elder King



No comments:

Post a Comment